Subject: Re: Render Settings
From: Mark Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 94 13:11:06 EDT

> :) In Babylon 5, almost every scene uses ray traced shadows.

> Why is this?  From the test renders that I've done so far your shadow maps
> look great, and are quite fast.

>From a realism standpoint, hard shadows are more accurate for space scenes.
But there is also the fact that shadow maps in LW still have some problems.
One that I find particularly annoying is that they can sometimes be offset
from the shadow casting object. This can cause an object sitting on the floor
or attached to a wall to appear to be floating. Also, in some cases, they
can flicker on the edges when animated.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   [email-masked]        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~